My head is exploding and there is no visible evidence. Nope. Not a bit of gray matter on the walls. Shouldn’t there be serious cleanup involved here?
What could cause this explosion? This combustion? This sharing of gray matter with my surroundings?
You might think that it is this video of Mitt Romney insulting about half of the country (47 bloomin’ percent!), by saying that
- they are “dependent” upon the government — it doesn’t matter that they have been paying into Social Security and Medicare for DECADES!
- they are essentially lazy folks, unwilling to work for a living, and
- if you’re not wealthy, well, who the hell cares about you ’cause you’re not gonna vote for Mitt anyway.
Well, certainly Mitt Romney doesn’t care about them.
Now normally, this video would get me pretty damn riled up.
But, of course, there’s more. Yes, it gets better.
You know how Mitt is always preaching about how he made it on his own? How he and Ann struggled, eating tuna and pasta. I wrote about it a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, it is so very difficult to just live off the interest and dividends from your stock portfolio, Mitt.
But did you know about George Romney? Mitt’s Daddy? The guy who gave Mitt and Ann the stock that eased Mitt and Ann’s struggle? He wasn’t always the successful businessman he became later. He wasn’t born the CEO of American Motors. Nope. He wasn’t always rich and well connected. Really! Who would have thunk it!
Still, George Romney was by all accounts 10,000 times the man his son is. He was an important member of the Moderate/Liberal Republicans that made up that impressive generation of politicians.
And do you want to know a secret? One that you won’t hear Mitt talkin’ about?
George Romney was on Welfare!
Yup! It’s true. When he was young he was a refugee from Mexico (where he was born and automatically became an American Citizen because his parents were American Citizens — but I digress.) And when he was a child, a refugee who fled back to the U.S. with his family, well, the United States Government helped him survive.
Here’s a clip of his wife saying what a good governor her husband George would be. And you know what? She was right by all accounts. He was a good man, a good governor, and would likely have made a good president.
One of the reasons he was such a good governor is that he had compassion all people. For the poor and downtrodden. Why? Well, partly because he was once poor. George Romney was once on welfare. And he understood that being poor doesn’t mean that you are lazy. That being poor doesn’t mean that you want a hand OUT but might just need a hand UP. And that’s what George Romney got from the United States Government.
So some questions for U.S. voters:
- Do you really want to elect a man President of the United States who courts the elite by denigrating the rest of us?
- Do you really want to elect a man President of the United States who pretends his father’s past didn’t happen?
- Do you really want to elect a man President of the United States who would have let his own father fail?
- Do you think these folks whom Mitt Romney has just identified and insulted will continue to cling to their guns and their religion?
- Do you really want to elect such an asshole President of the United States?
I can hear you shouting “NO!” from here.
* * *
Many thanks to my friend Lisa of Big Sheep Blog for telling me about this video. I was actually working …